NO-MATO SAUCE

For those of us whose body responds negatively to tomatoes, meal planning and eating in general is greatly limited. For myself, most of my favorite dishes contain some form of tomato. My body is anti-tomato! I eat it and the next day I cannot move! So after nearly 9 months of a dismal tomato free life I screamed "No More!" There must be a better way than this lack luster existence where things like chili, lasagna, spaghetti, and basic vegetable soup were banned! One can only eat so much chicken. I went to my computer and asked my friend Google what is an alternative to tomato sauce?  His response was pay 12 dollars a bottle for sauce that cost as much to ship and you cannot taste it before hand. I politley disagreed with Google and logged off to go experiment in the kitchen! The result is No-mato sauce. My husband and kids love it and so do I. I use it as a base for any recipe that calls for a tomato base(including bbq sauce). Here is my recipe. Please remember it is designed for our tastes and we do like a bit of a bite in our sauce so adjust accordingly to your own tastes. Trust your tongue! If you taste it and it seems tart add sweetener, if it tastes  spicy enough leave off the cayenne.  Recipe by Ginny O'Shea.

- 10 pounds juicing carrots
- 6 large seedless cucumbers
- 3 red bell peppers (helps with color if they are red)
- 2 dried chili peppers seeded
- 5 large onions
- 1 bunch of celery
- 2 small bunches of leeks
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 8oz pack of real parmesan cheese
- 1 pack of pepperoni (optional)
- 1 can of chicken/veggie broth
- 9oz of olive oil (give or take - it sounds like a lot but this is a lot of sauce)
- Oak wood aged balsamic vinegar (I use 1/4 cup plus 3 tblsp.)
- Spices to taste (I use oregano, basil,thyme, onion powder, cayenne powder, and a few bay leaves)

In a large stock pot add olive oil and chicken broth then add your veggies.  Cut and cook your veggies according to cook time.For instance carrots take the longest time to cook so start there and move on. Cook until everything is tender. Then use a submersion blender and puree your veggies. After everything is as smooth as you like, add spices, vinegar and cheese. let it simmer about 15 minutes and taste it. If it needs more this or that adjust it. I add a touch of Agave to ours so we have a sweet spicy sauce. Then seperate into bags and freeze until you need it. I will use this to make taco sauce, spaghetti sauce, bbq sauce, pizza sauce, base for veggie soup, you name it!